Tuesday, February 5, 2013

the second lost tooth.

This past Saturday, Hayden lost his second tooth! 

I was so pumped. 

Then as I was putting him to bed, he abruptly lost it. I was devastated. We looked for that tooth, but couldn't find it. I was convinced that it couldn't be found.

I went to bed super sad. 

The tooth fairy still came and left him $1.51. Hayden was happy. I was still really bummed about having lost that tooth.

You see, I plan on keeping all of Hayden and Harper's baby teeth. I have these "Baby Teeth Books" that I purchased to store them in (this is the book I bought for Hayden and this is the book I bought for Harper). I am extremely sentimental and sensitive about lots of things and baby teeth happen to be one of them (as an FYI, my mom kept all of my baby teeth as well). Having lost this tooth when it was "just right there" was so frustrating and upsetting to me. 

But then I woke up Sunday morning and was inspired. While walking on the treadmill getting my morning exercise, I watched an episode of 'Bones'. I figured if those archaeologists can find tiny minuscule particles and bone fragments among those intensely complex and elaborate sites (and murder scenes) then I can find a freaking tooth!

I set about Sunday morning determined to find that tooth. I thought about where it could be and I searched methodically. It didn't take long. I found that tooth in his bed frame wedged between the platform and the frame. I used double-stick tape to extricate the tooth and I was SO excited. 

I showed Hayden. He was less than impressed. But whatever. I found that tooth and I couldn't have been happier.

At the same time, I came to the realization that it's very possible that some of Hayden and Harper's baby teeth might get lost or not "make it" to the Baby Teeth books. I am going to have to be okay with that. Unfortunately  I can't control everything and things do get lost (or accidentally swallowed). Life will go on. For the time being though, I am happy to have found that tooth. 

And Hayden is happy with his adorable smile - missing those two front bottom teeth. 

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Look how cute he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!

    Gracie has swallowed 1 of her teeth, Graham has swallowed 3!

    ReplyDelete