Wednesday, December 22, 2010

hayden has strep throat?!?

Hayden has strep throat. I had NO idea. His symptoms: low-grade fever, upset tummy, threw up once, not eating all that much.

He threw up Friday evening. Since Friday he has had a low-grade fever: never going below 99.2 or above 100.5 (generally it was 99.5). He has complained about his tummy hurting and hasn't been eating as much as he usually does (on Saturday he didn't eat anything).

In general, he just seemed off. He was still playing and active, but he just seemed weird and a little funky. I had no idea what was going on. I thought it was probably a little virus, but just to be sure I decided to go ahead and be the “paranoid parent” and take him to the doctor. With the holidays coming up, I thought it was better to be safe that sorry. Plus, my mommy instincts told me that something was wrong.

So last night we went to the pediatrician. We had to wait in the waiting room for an hour - not cool. We checked him for a bladder infection (he had seemed to be peeing a lot so I thought it would be a good idea just to check the urine) and the doctor looked him over, but nothing really stood out (and the pee “looked good”). She did note that his tonsils (which are naturally HUGE) were a little red, and so she thought just to cover all the bases that she would do a quick strep test on him.

Lo and behold, it came out positive. I was REALLY surprised. He hadn't complained of his throat hurting AT ALL and his fever wasn't all that high. The doctor said it is a very atypical presentation of strep throat, but that her son had had a similar strep throat experience when he was younger.

I am really glad that she was so thorough and that she was able to discover that he has strep throat. And I have to say, that Hayden was a WONDERFUL patient. He was a trooper during our long wait in the waiting room and was great with the doctor (this hasn't always been the case - in the past, Hayden hasn't always been a compliant patient).

Needless to say, Hayden is now on antibiotics. He is doing well - although really he was never doing “bad.” I feel awful to exposing him to the public over the past few days while he apparently was contagious with strep throat. My bad! I seriously had NO idea.

10 comments:

  1. I hope he gets a-okay before Christmas! and I wouldn't feel to bad about having taken him out in public...a few germs never hurt anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't kids so weird when it comes to illness?! Glad it got diagnosed before chrisas so he can feel 100% on the big day. Hope you don't get it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who's son NEVER complained of a sore throat, but always complained of stomach issues. Every time, it was strep. I think Dylan has reacted the same way from time to time! Glad you went on your instincts though! Sometimes you think you are being paranoid...and then you find out that you WERE justified in visiting! :) I'm sure he'll be back to normal in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww poor guy. Hope he's feeling himself again by Christmas. Glad being sick doesn't seem to be bringing him down too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strep is a sneaky bug. Sometimes the only symptom in children is the tummy trouble, low grade fever, and one throw up. My baby had it this summer and that was her symptoms exactly! Hope he feels better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get that boy better before the Holidays!!! I served Ted some Airborne today in case you infected him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAYDEN DIDNT SOUND TO SICK WHEN I TALKED TO YOU!! BUT THEN WHEN YOU GIVE THEM ONE SHOT OF MEDICINE THEY SEEM TO SNAP RIGHT OUT OF IT.LOOKING FORWARD TO HAVING YOU ALL HERE WHAT EVER WORKS FOR YOU IS FINE WITH ME SEE YOU SOON

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I hope he gets better soon. I'm still new at this parenting thing, but it always seems to go that way for us too. Baby never let on when she had double ear infections. Just a little reduced eating from a bottle ... that was my only clue. Good for you for listening to your instincts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. good thing you trusted those mommy instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Hayden. I'm glad he didn't have any more severe symptoms making him super miserable. Good job taking him in on your instinct mama! I never take the girls to the dr... hehehehe! Well, of course I do when their fevers are super high and stuff like that but with his symptoms I wouldn't have. Your mommy radar was on target!

    ReplyDelete