Friday, October 9, 2009

to excel.

I want to be really good at something: to do something, and for someone to tell me that I do that thing really well. And I guess “good” isn't really the right word - I want to actually excel at something.

It would feel so nice to have a special talent, skill, or ability that is impressive or noteworthy. To have a teacher, acquaintance, random person, or boss tell me that I “astound” them in some way would be really neat. I have yet to experience that occurrence, but it sure would be nice.

Now don’t get me wrong, I think I’m smart. I’m a pretty decent mom, and I also realize that I am a very organized person. But really I’m looking for more than that: something I do extremely well.

For example, I recently told a woman I don’t know well that her artwork is amazing and that she should seriously consider selling it. I have several friends who are exceptional vocal artists. My husband is amazingly creative and makes awesome videos, fliers, and graphics. My sister is a wonderful “people person” and everyone seems to like her. My mother is great at SO many things and is very smart. She is a great leader and looked up to by many. My father is also respected by many and has an “air of optimism” that is inspiring.

I often wonder: what is my thing? What particular attribute do I have that is special? Aside from being unique and people thinking that I am weird and unusual. What is my noteworthy talent, skill, or ability?

Maybe I will find it someday or maybe I have already “found it” but just don’t realize it. I don’t know. It would just be nice for some “outsider” to notice something “special” about me. That would be super neat.

7 comments:

  1. i think you are a fabulous writer, seriously, your blogs read like a book, maybe that is your "thing" and you just haven't seen it yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so special at so many things- you're a great listener, friend, writer, mom, ORGANIZER, ...

    On a side note, I think you would be a great movie/tv critic. That would be the perfect job for you. Everyone knows you love tv, and you could use your writing skills!

    (Thanks for the compliments on my bubbly personality- it made me smile :).

    Love you! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just awesome Melissa!!!

    Could it just be that you're so great that one thing doesn't just stand out? You're an awesome mom, you are funny, and you support everyone - regardless of what's going on in your life (I've seen the sweet comments you leave for people even when you've got a ton on your plate).

    There are some who stand out and are noticed... and there are some who work in the background who may never have the spotlight, but remembered by many.

    Our goal should be to make such an impact that people remember us for making a difference rather than because we made a splash :) I know your work at the women's shelter has made that sort of a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think about this too regarding myself. I like your sisters idea, movie/tv critic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and gotta say between me and my brother (only other sibling), people in general gravitate towards him. He is the people person, the "nice" one. It's been this way all of our lives. Ha! It used to really bother me because it played out that way even with family members... anwyay, whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MELISSA YOU ARE SUCH A SPECIAL PERSON THE WAY YOU ARE!! EVERYONE LOVES YOU AND YOU ARE SO SPECIAL IN ALL THAT YOU DO YOU HAVE TO LOOK BACK!! AND SEE ALL OF IT!! ITS THERE DONT CHANGE YOU ARE PERFECT IN ALL THAT YOU DO!!
    LOVE GRAM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are really good at making people feel special. That sounds silly, but it really makes an impact on people!

    ReplyDelete