Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Peace at Home.

Generally I write about the everyday musings of my life with Hayden. Today I thought I would venture off my normal musings and discuss the Peace at Home Family Shelter, the organization for which I serve as the President-Elect of their Board.

I have been on the Peace at Home Family Shelter’s Board for almost 4 ½ years now, since November 2004. At that time, I was getting my Master’s in Social Work and they were looking for an individual who could represent some sort of helping-profession within the Board… they picked me. I thought they must be desperate, but either way I was honored. I have served on the Board since and have been a reliable Board member, hence my current position as President-Elect.

So, what is Peace at Home you may ask… well, I’ll tell you.

Peace at Home is located in Springdale, Arkansas. In theory it is an emergency shelter for survivors of family violence, but it is so much more than that.

Yes, it is an emergency shelter which is vital; however, Peace at Home also works by providing a 24-hour crisis line, support groups for adults and children, advocacy, job training, bilingual services, housing assistance, legal advocacy, community outreach, community education, as well as a thrift store.

Peace at Home is the oldest shelter in Arkansas and one of the oldest shelters in the nation. Founded in 1977, it works to empower survivors of domestic violence to create and sustain secure, nurturing, violence-free homes.

With 35 available beds, the shelter is consistently full, with the majority of residents being children (the children of the women in shelter). If a vacancy does become available, it is generally filled within a few hours. Some women call the shelter every other day to check and see if there happens to be a vacancy – which there seldom is. It is unfortunate, but the truth.

I am proud to be a part of Peace at Home: to serve the organization in at least some capacity. It is a sad reality that many women and children aren't afforded with the basic right of living in a violence-free home, something that we at Peace at Home are well aware of. All too aware of.

4 comments:

  1. You should be very proud to be involved in such a group....

    ReplyDelete
  2. you do great work, mel.

    randall k.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful! One of my goals in life is to find a place like that to give my time to as well as bring my children into the spirit of charity. I look up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM SO PROUD OF ALL THAT YOU DO EVEN WITH HAVIN G HAYDEN YOU ARE BUSY ALL THE TIME!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
    GRAM

    ReplyDelete