Wednesday, May 20, 2009

where the naps at?

Hayden hasn’t been napping. It’s been 6 days: six long, arduous, nap-less days. It has been awful… for me (and a little for him).

The 2-hour respite I used to get while my little man napped is gone. I have convinced him that he needs to “rest” which consists of Hayden playing in his room for about an hour while he watches a movie. He is kind of getting it.

During that time, I close his door and watch TV and/or do stuff on the computer. But an hour isn’t much time, and he generally comes out a few times during the hour because he wants/needs something or to ask if “rest time is over”, so this is definitely not the optimal situation. But it’s how it is right now.

I am hoping that this is just a short-term stint, but honestly I’m thinking that this no-napping thing is a new permanent aspect of his life. And let me just say that it has not gone smoothly.

Hayden’s mood is less than stellar during the day. He is pretty cranky. He is easily frustrated and temperamental. He is not at 100%. I am not at 100%. I am so worn out by the end of the day – not that I wasn't already worn out before, but now it’s even worse.

It’s very tough. Randy comes home and notes that I seem unhappy and tired… well, yeah. I am… not exactly unhappy, but too tired to show much affect… or unhappy due to Hayden’s irritability and fits of defiance. It is definitely challenging, to say the least.

I hope things settle down soon. This new routine is taxing and I’m not sure how long mommy (meaning me… and yes, I am talking about myself in the third person) can take it.

7 comments:

  1. my robby went though that a few months ago. i read its just a normal stage for them. Just keep up the rest time and always start it off like you would a nap then leave em in there room. It will get to the point where somedays he will nap and others he will play also I dont let robby out till what would be the end of nap time so alot of the time he plays the 1st hour then gets bored and sleeps the 2nd one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confirm Rhonda's advice. That sounds smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had advice for you! I am hoping you will figure it all out for me so that you can tell me how to do everything when Chris and I have little Hotts....

    Good luck! Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate; Jack has been nap-free (or close) for many months. Since Hayden used to nap, I think it's safe to hope that this is just a phase. But keep on with the rest time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, that sounds rough, Melissa! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAYDEN WILL GET TIRED AND TAKE A NAP JUST DONT GIVE UP ON HIM WHEN HE SEES THAT HE CANT COME OUT OF HIS ROOM HE WILL GIVE UP AND TAKE A NAP.IT WILL BE TOUGH ON YOU BUT YOU HAVE TO OUT SMART HIM!!!
    GRAM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I'm totally over trying to give Maya naps. It would end up being a 3 hour endeavor almost every day. Um, no thanks. It's quite a change to not have that "me" time during the day while she naps. I miss it. We both get pretty cranky by late afternoon. I know she still needs a nap but I just can't figure out how to get her to FALL ASLEEP!!! I'd rather deal with her being cranky for a bit until bed time than waste 3 hours of my day trying to coax her to sleep. Ugh. I feel like a bad momma.

    ReplyDelete