We have exciting news to report… and 'NO' it is not that I am pregnant… so drum roll please…
Hayden went pee-pee and poo-poo in the potty!!!
Yes. You read that right. Hayden went to the bathroom in the potty. It was a very pleasant surprise.
Unfortunately I wasn’t even home for the event (I was at a meeting). I am definitely upset that I missed this momentous occasion; however, I suppose that life will go on. Randy was the sole witness, and he was thrilled and overjoyed. Such a proud parent!... Well, here is a summary of the event (which I know all of you want to know about… well, maybe not but I am definitely excited about it and feel like sharing. So here goes):
We purchased a potty for Hayden a few months ago. We put it in the bathroom and let him know that it is his potty. He has played with it and sat on it, but never in an effort to actually go to the bathroom.
Heretofore, it has simply been an object of interest and play. Needless to say, we are not actively potty training.
So last night Hayden and Randy were in the bathroom brushing Hayden’s teeth. Before the teeth brushing, Hayden pointed to his potty and said pee-pee. Randy asked him if he wanted to go potty and Hayden said yes. Randy then asked him if he wanted to take off his diaper, and Hayden said yes. So, Randy took off Hayden’s diaper and Hayden sat on the potty (with his book…he “read” his book whole he sat on the potty). Randy sat on his potty (the big potty)… then after a little while Hayden stood up, Randy checked in the potty and sure enough Hayden had gone pee-pee. Randy was elated and praised him. Hayden smiled and seemed very proud of himself. Hayden then said poo-poo, and Randy asked Hayden if he had to go poo-poo and he said yes and sat back down. Hayden then told Randy to sit on his potty and go poo-poo too. So Randy obliged and pretended to go poo-poo too (on the big potty). After a while, Randy looked in the potty and sure enough there was some poo-poo! Again, Randy praised him… They dumped the “deposits” in the big potty and Hayden helped Randy flush the toilet. Hayden then got a fresh diaper and got to wash his hands (which he loves to do) … so that is our potty story. Congrats to Hayden! We are now going to start working a little more actively in potty training (but definitely not pushing it). So wish us luck and I’ll keep you updated.
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Hayden playing - looking absolutely adorable!!!
Hayden happy in his little "fort"
Hayden reading in his "fort"
Hayden, me, and Alfie in Hayden's "fort"
Our Pumpkin Family
Randy and his dad
Oh my goodness! It has been over a month since I have written a blog post. I am so sorry. Bad Melissa. Bad blogger. So this particular post will be an update (in words) summarizing the events of the past month.
- Hayden and I have been having weekly playdates with Ella (and Carolyn) and Elizabeth (and Sarah). We have been having a great time with the ladies. They are SO sweet and fun. And help keep mommy sane. I appreciate my mommy friends (Carolyn and Sarah) so much. I don’t know what I would do without them.
- Hayden has been having a great time at school and enjoying it so much. He doesn’t even seem to care when mommy drops him off. He just goes in and plays. No kiss or hug goodbye, just off to play. I suppose this is better than having a clingy, crying little boy who can’t stand to have his mommy leaving. But I have to say… a little hug or kiss goodbye would really mean a lot.
- Hayden got his first ear infection (which included a ruptured ear drum) this past month. I had no idea. I just thought he was teething, but since he was acting so fussy I decided to take him to the doctor, at which point the doctor let me know of the ear infection and ruptured ear drum. I felt like a horrible mommy. He must have had the ear infection for at least a week. He is doing better now though… thank goodness.
- Randy and I have been meeting with the architects who are designing our home, and the plans are almost complete. It is looking spectacular and I am really excited about it.
- Hayden and I have been enjoying our weekly music class with Miss Linda. It is so fun and affordable (and Ella and Carolyn are in our class too which adds to the fun).
- Randy, Hayden, and I went to a small, local pumpkin patch and picked out our pumpkin family. It was so fun, and we plan on going back there next year.
- Last week, I attended a Play Therapy Conference in Dallas. It was interesting and enjoyable. It made me think about what I want to do with my life. Do I really want to be a therapist? Do I want to teach? What do I want?!?... I have no idea. For now I think I will stick to being a mommy, and try and go with the flow and see what the future holds. But that is not easy for me. I like to plan things, and not knowing what my future holds makes me very anxious and nervous. That’s life though.
- While in Dallas, Randy, my mom and dad, and Hayden ended up joining me for the weekend. The purpose of their visit was to meet up with Randy’s dad. We hadn’t seen Randy’s dad in quite a while, and he had never met Hayden. Hence, the need for this visit.